What Ovidio says in the US won’t harm the Sinaloa Cartel, says Mike Vigil

Written by Parriva — July 12, 2025

Mike Vigil, former head of international operations for the DEA, stated in an interview that the information Ovidio Guzmán López may provide to the United States government will not actually harm the Sinaloa Cartel, as it is one of the most solid criminal organizations in the world, and will only allow Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán’s son to avoid a life sentence.

In an interview for the program “A las dos,” which is broadcast on YouTube through the SinEmbargo Al Aire channel, Mike Vigil mentioned that what Ovidio Guzmán reveals to the US authorities will serve to open new lines of investigation and incriminate other figures who have so far remained under the radar.

“The statements will have some impact; they will open lines of investigation, other cartel members or people with ties will be charged, but it will not harm the Sinaloa Cartel because the cartel’s infrastructure has existed since 1989 when the Guadalajara Cartel was dismantled. It is the most powerful cartel that has ever existed in the world,” he said.

Mike Vigil recalled that Ovidio Guzmán has collaborated with the United States since he was extradited to that country in 2023 and noted that, despite his support, the kingpin will not be released immediately, but will have to serve a prison sentence.

“Ovidio Guzmán has been collaborating since he was extradited in 2023. Ovidio Guzmán is not going to be completely free. What will happen is that he will avoid a life sentence, but he will surely get 10, 15, 20 years in a United States prison, but that he will not be completely free, no.”

You need Sign In or Sign Up account to post comment.